Saturday 25 April 2009

Yes, but not if we're going into a nightmare.

Two weeks ago, we were all glued to our idiot's lanterns and watched "Planet of the Dead" [PotD]. Ok, that's an exaggeration, as there were more people watching "Britain got Talent" than Doctor Who... but who cares. I bet those who stumbles across this blog belongs to the "PotD" minority. 

So, what was this eagerly awaited episode all about. Firstly, I need to say it was one of Russel T Davies' [RTD] best episode we've ever had. Only "The Runaway Bride" has been better in my opinion. But maybe that's only me, because I'm a Donna fan, and because I like having a "real" villain on the screen. But I'm glad the PotD's "swarm" wasn't put down as "simply bad".

I know Lawrence Miles' famous "PotD" review. I wished he wouldn't delete his posts constantly, although this time he sailed really close the wind. If it were still available I would have posted a link. But it's not. Not yet. He's going to write a new one, although I always like the first version more, it's more spontaneous.

So, here is my first objection. I'm sorry, but the Tritovores were.... pointless. They didn't look great or interesting, or is it that they just don't fit? Don't get me wrong. I liked them in a very non terrestrial way, but "Planet of the Dead" is the wrong episode to appear in for them. I wonder if the producers of "The Fly" will take the BBC for copyright infringements to court. 

Talking about pointlessness. Are humans really like those passengers behaved? I don't think so. Maybe I'm living in an area with really extraordinary people, but just have a look at your accompanion on the public transportsysthem in the morning... what do you see? Are we really this shallow? 

I have to admit there have been also a few positive aspects about "PotD", elsewise I haven't written that it was RTD's second best episode. I loved Edward' Lee performance. Malcolm was a great character, a typical genius. Chaotic, loyal and just with the right portion of craziness. I hope this hasn't been the last time Malcolm appeared on our screens. 

>So, what about the others. There isn't a lot to say about David Tennant that hasn't already been said many times by many others. We already know he's magnificent and we'll still going to miss him. After waiting three month for the next episode I almost got used to the idea him stepping out of the TARDIS. But now I still can't believe it. Then: Michelle Ryan did a great job. Cathrina de Souza was an amazing character, and she and the Doctor were an incredible good team. She was one of the few sensible characers with whom the Doctor worked with, although she wanted to follow him after all. Her answer to the Doctor's "Allons-y" - "Oui, mais pas si nous allons vers un cauchemar. [Yes, but not if we're going into a nightmare.] should be hanging in a frame on the wall of the TARDIS, reminding the Doctor's companions of what's so obvious. But this nightmares are exactly the reason why we love this show. 

The next nightmare "The Waters of Mars" (The Wars of the Master/ or Hamster Software) looks really angsty. We've had an amazing cliff hanger, and I bet, Russel T Davies will spoil the last episode by writing a final a la Russel T Davies: with pointless dialogues, with an unrealistic storyline, and yes, I do know that Doctor Who is a science - fiction show, so nothing is really impossible, but I'm just asking the main writer to concentrate a little bit more on the word "science" than on "fiction". Thank you very much. 

I hope he won't bring Rose back, but again, it's RTD we are talking about. I don't feel like wanting another "Journey's End" fiasco. And that's exactly what RTD's finales usually are.

3 comments:

  1. Very true. I did, however, enjoy the episode, but like all RTD's eps, it felt like it was out of place and missing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks. Actually I also enjoyed it... but yep... there is definitely something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review, agree. Why do you say "finals" though? Do you mean "finale"? Might be a regional thing I guess, I've just never heard them called "series finals".

    ReplyDelete