Sunday 16 May 2010

Because if this is real life, I don't want it.

Oh my dear. Who wasn't shivering when Amy said those words to a not quite so sure Doctor. I wouldn't go so far to state that Amy's Choice (link) was the best Doctor Who episode ever, or of this season (although, giving it another thought...) But it was good, deep and emotional AND the low budget one of this season. If saving money looks this good, then I don't know Moffat's problem. (Ok, I know due to the Beeb not being too gorgeous this year he is saving the biggest part of the budget for... guess.)

I have to admit, last week after watching its trailer I didn't know where to put it. To be honest I thought it were only a good script and a story bringing those three to their limits which could save that one. However, without exaggerating, that's exactly what Simon Nye did. It seems to me as if he hadn't done anything else but thinking about the perfect Doctor Who episode, and actually, that's what Amy's Choice manages to be: perfect (although not in a "Gallifrey-ish" way if you know what I mean*.)

First, letting the Doctor's dark side to be the "Dream-Lord" was a hilarious idea, which worked on quite a few levels. It helped settling the whole love part, finally. Then, well, we were always aware of the Doctor having a reason for being a bit, ehm, difficult when it comes to his past, but his line "No idea how you can be here, but there's only one person in the universe who hates me as much as you do." was quite revealing. It was also awesome that there wasn't one "real" world, in fact that would have been cheap. And there aren't many episodes where the Doctor gets the chance and also would blow up the TARDIS.

Still, Amy's Choice didn't only work with the big bits. For a start, the Doctor seems to have his very own definition of nightmare. And I smiled when he admits that he threw the TARDIS' manual into a supernova because he disagreed with it (we all know situations like that), or all the moments when everyone is teasing him for his appearance (and bow ties ARE cool BTW.) But then again, we could go on about every, really every sentence the Doctor says to work things out.

Alright, my conclusion of all that is if this was a low budget episode, then first, I hope Simon Nye won't give up on writing for this show after all (yes, I DO know what he said) and secondly, Chris Chibnall, who is in charge for The Hungry Earth 2-parter, will have a though job, or at least pretty high expectations to live up to.

____________
*Just watch Planet of the Dead, Gridlock, or another s3 episode in which the Doctor is talking about his "perfect" home planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment