Sunday 11 April 2010

This was different...

... but I'm not entirely sure whether that's good or bad.

So, Lawrence Miles is looking for "in betweens" (as mentioned here)? I really hope he stayed tuned in.

Right now, I'm going to do something which hopefully won't happen quite often: Considering The Best Below's plot it is very likely the worst Steven Moffat has written (yet?, that hurt).

I have nothing against star-whales, are surely lovely animals, and I liked the ending (letting Amy to save the day was a really nice twist), but the Big Moff's former stories used to be easy-going and light-hearted and this one seems to be a bit forced. Come on, what was the "being inside a star-whale" scene all about, or the Smilers?

Still, it could have been worse, especially because if you don't concentrate on the actual plot of the episode but on the in-betweens (should I put that in capital letters?) then it was great.

Well, let's say, this one wasn't about the story, but about character development. For it really was, especially, if we take in account that we have 2 strangers flying around in a tiny police box (or being in the mouth of a whale, I know, nice options) then we should have known that this is going to be an "in-betweens" one. But to be honest, I expected Moffat to do it a bit better. Nevertheless, the in-betweens we got were really good. I'm about to say that Amy has the potential of being a part of my "best companion" list (but sorry, she just can't be 21 years old, or am I missing something?). Further, I love Moffat for writing the Doctor less dramatic and more "alien-like". I have nothing against drama, but RTD overdid that constantly the last 5 years, so I'm quite enjoying the recent (although luckily not complete) lack of it.

So, next week the Daleks are back and it's Churchill having an appointment with the Doctor? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment