Tuesday 29 October 2013

Losing a Bit of Magic

You made me forget myself
I thought I was someone else.
Someone good.  - Lou Reed, Perfect Day
Usually, I'm writing about stuff which is somehow related to Doctor Who, Sherlock, or both. But I hope you don't mind if this post will be an exception. It deals with the real world for a change. It deals with the death of Lou Reed.

If you are anything like me, you may not have spent a lot of your time listening to his songs. At least, I'm honest enough to admit that I didn't, even though there are some pieces written by him I love more than I could put down in words, as well as many others which simply do  not speak to me. But my dear, those which speak have a great story to tell, and every time I'm so eager to listen.

I always thought it to be strange that a stranger, a guy who is several times my age, has a better idea of what love means to me and of what *my* personal 'Perfect Day' would look like than most of the boys I have dated.  That was the gift of Lou Reed. His words have manage to touch the heart of people he never knew, and never will. That's what he left behind, and that's why he is so dearly missed.

PS: I can't help including Neil Gaiman's Lou Reed tribute; excellently written and with just the right amount of heartbreak. So hop over to The Guardian. I promise, you won't regret reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment